Weird News 11/08/15
Enjoy some weird news from some crazy people.
Dearborn, a small Missouri town of 500 people, is drawing attention for the way it’s rallied behind a man convicted of abusing a young girl for more than a decade.
Late last month, Darren Paden pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree statutory sodomy and was sentenced to 50 years in prison. Starting before the victim turned five, the volunteer fire department chief abused the girl about 200 to 300 times in the course of the decade, according to The Kansas City Star.
Charged in 2013, the 52-year-old admitted to watching explicit films with the underage girl, performing a sex act on her and then forcing her to do the same, the NY Daily News reports.
Despite his revelations, the girl was ostracized from her community for several years and called a liar. The now 18-year-old told The Star that, on one occasion, a woman who was renting hung up on her after hearing her name.
At the sentencing hearing, it became clear where the town’s support was aligned. According to FOX 4 Kansas City, the victim had an opportunity to read a statement that not only outlined what the father of seven did to her but how her town treated her.
Her comments included:
I feel so unwelcomed in a town that I have grown up in. I feel like an outsider that just strolled in and everybody is giving their own analysis on; and making up gossip that people believe instead of just coming up and talking to me. . . . Try dealing with that on top of being called a liar every day. . . .
Despite her heartbreaking comments — and what was brought to light — two retired teachers, three school employees, and even a board member from the victim’s school wrote letters vouching for Paden.
The turn of events was especially unsettling for Prosecuting Attorney Eric Zahnd, who questioned whether these individuals would feel the same way if the victim was their daughter or son.
“There are certainly a few good people in this community who have offered support to this young victim,” Zahnd wrote in a release. “It is shocking, however, that many continue to support a defendant whose guilt was never in doubt. If it takes a village to raise a child, what is a child to do when the village turns its back and supports a confessed child molester?”
Reinaldo Cardoso Rivera is not a man to trifle with on the subject of chicken.
According to reports, Rivera was in a Houston, Texas apartment with friends last Friday night, drinking and fixing a chicken dinner, when a fight broke out between Rivera and Darwin Perez Gonzalez.
Rivera, 38, was reportedly angered by Gonzalez taking the last piece of chicken, and the two got into a fight. That fight escalated rapidly, ending up in a brutal fistfight in the parking lot outside. At that time, Rivera allegedly stabbed Gonzalez and ran. Gonzalez died at the scene.
Rivera later turned himself in to police. Investigators found a kitchen knife in Rivera’s possession. He has been charged with murder.
Construction workers near New York City’s Washington Square Park made a grim discovery when they stumbled across a vault overflowing with human skeletons that date back to the 19th century.
The workers were upgrading water mains under the park, which was once used as a potter’s field (or public mass grave) after the Revolutionary War. The park was also reportedly used for public executions.
According to CBS Local, more than 12 people’s remains were found in the vault, which is about 8 feet deep, 15 feet wide and 20 feet long, per the city’s Department of Design and Construction.
Nearby residents were intrigued at the discovery. “If it were more recent it might be creepy; if it were from, like, the 1980s,” Julia Gouny told CBS Local.
Omokhe Fue agreed, telling CBS, “I think that’s really cool, I do. I think that it’s awesome. Washington Square Park used to actually be, like, a burial site, so I mean, it makes sense that they found bones.”
The burial site, on the east end of the park near Waverly Place, will soon host archaeologists who’ll try to learn more about the vault and whose remains are held there.
For retired teacher Nino Esposito and his partner Roland “Drew” Bosee, the legalization of same-sex marriage nationwide was something that had once been just a dream.
For many years, same-sex couples in the United States who wanted to secure the kind of family rights and privileges for their partners that marriage would have provided leaned on adoption law to solve the problem. It gave them legal recognition as a family unit, and also gave them the basics like hospital visitation rights.
Esposito looked to those laws in 2012 when he legally adopted (!) his partner of 40 years, Bosee. They never believed that they would live long enough for marriage to be an option open to them. Now 78 years of age, Esposito finds himself in the situation of wanting to annul the adoption in order for them to get married.
While each state has its own adoption laws, it’s not always easy to annul an adoption. Their case went to Judge Lawrence J. O’Toole, who denied their request. In his ruling, the judge reportedly noted that the primary purpose of the adoption had been to place the two men in a parent-child situation instead of being legally treated as a third-party relationship. He also suggested that the purpose had been to reduse the inheritance tax that the other would have to pay when one man eventually died.
O’Toole reportedly stated that he was “sensitive to the situation,” but could not grant the annulment. Lawyers for the ACLU who examined the ruling have stated that they do not believe that O’Toole was unsympathetic to Esposito’s and Bosee’s desire to get married, but they do believe that O’Toole wanted an appellate court to hand down the legal decision on this matter. The case is in the hands of the Superior Court and arguments are expected to begin in December.
Their case has even reached the attention of Pennsylvania Senator Bob Casey, who reportedly has sent a letter to Attorney General Loretta Lynch requesting that the Justice Department issue some form of guidance for couples who availed themselves of the legal adoption methods to allow their long-time partners to enjoy some of the legal rights of a family unit that were not available to them via marriage.
It was a dispute over toilet paper that landed one Florida man behind bars.
The Star Press reports that 27-year-old Bryan Edward Alwine was taken into police custody after authorities were called out to his home.
The report says a woman who said she was Alwine’s girlfriend claims he pushed her “so hard that she flew.” The victim told police that when she hit the ground she bloodied her elbow and hit her right knee.
When asked, the victim also reportedly told police the knock-down argument was over… toilet paper. She told authorities Alwine “is very specific on what he likes to use.”
No word on how long the couple has been dating, but the Smoking Gun claims Alwine had been arrested before for threatening to kill the woman, who said he had a “history of violence” that had lasted years throughout their relationship. Alwine was reportedly previously convicted in 2008 for residential entry.
Although he’s since been released from jail, Alwine was charged with domestic battery.
Before an Arizona grandfather allegedly left his young granddaughter alone in the desert, he gave her a loaded gun and some parting advice: “Shoot any bad guys.”
Paul Armand Rater of Buckeye is accused of leaving the five-year-old girl in his pickup truck with a .45-caliber handgun. According to The Guardian, the girl went missing four hours later and was found in the desert with the weapon.
“She was given the gun and told to shoot any bad guys,” said Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio. “I don’t know how a five-year-old can tell a good guy from a bad guy but that’s what she said she was told.”
The Mirror reports, when apprehended by authorities at a store, the 53-year-old admitted to giving the girl the gun and explained that the car had broken down and he left her because she said she couldn’t walk anymore. He also said he left the girl “while he went for a few drinks and a cheeseburger,” according to the sheriff’s office.
“Only reason why I got something to eat was I hadn’t eaten in six hours. I drank two sodas and then I started drinking beer because I don’t like soda, so, I was dehydrated,” he also said.
The five-year-old was returned to her mother, and Rater was arrested and charged with felony child abuse and one count of felony child endangerment. He is held at the Fourth Avenue Jail.
According to News.com.au, the Danish-born, South Africa-based man busted with 21 pieces of severed female genitalia (!) in his freezer is due in court to apply for bail on sexual assault charges.
Peter Frederiksen was busted in September after his wife, Anna Matseliso Molise, called police to report that he had cut off her own genitalia after illicitly drugging her one night.
In a horrific turn, Molise was shot and killed in an “assassination-style killing” as she left her house last month. She was due in court to testify against him, and was the state’s key witness in the case. Authorities had, tragically, reportedly been concerned that“something like this could happen” and had offered her protection just in case.
Frederiksen owns a gun store and “allegedly sedated his victims before performing illegal operations on them,” according to a police statement.
It’s unclear whether the man took the body parts from his victims when they were alive or dead, but he reportedly kept detailed records of the mutilations and what parts belonged to whom.
His first victim was apparently in 2010.
When police searched a man’s home, it’s safe to say they didn’t expect to find almost two dozen pieces of female genitalia in his freezer.
After a woman claimed her Danish husband, Peter Fredekrisen, drugged her and cut off part of her vagina, South African police searched their home and unearthed 21 pieces of women’s genitalia, The Local dk reports. According to police spokesman Hangwani Maulaudzi, surgical tools, anesthetic and a wealth of incriminating photos were also discovered.
Even more unsettling is that Fredekrisen was very public about his … pastime. According to Danish tabloid BT, the 58-year-old gun shop owner participated in a radio documentary where he talked about carrying out female genital mutilation on not only his African wife but also her friends. The publication also claims Fredekrisen fled to South Africa to avoid a weapons charge in Denmark.
It’s believed he sedated his victims before performing the illegal procedures in which he reportedly cut off the women’s labia and clitorises.
According to the Daily Mail, Fredekrisen told journalists that he learned his female genital mutilation procedure from Jorn Ege, a controversial doctor.
“I met him [Ege] at Skodsborg Strandvej for a dinner,” he reportedly said in the documentary. “And I say, ‘I might have a customer for you. I know a girl in Copenhagen and she’d love to have made a cosmetic intervention, but she would want me to make it.’”
Arrested for sexual assault, intimidation, and domestic violence, police spokesman Masilela Langa claimed the 58-year-old man kept a record of which parts were removed and who they belonged to. With his records starting in 2010, authorities are now focused in identifying the victims — who are possibly still alive.
“We are engaged in research and [want] to question the man. It is as if he knew his victims and knew where to look for them,” he said to Netwerk24. “It is now important that we [find] the man’s victims. At this stage, we do not know how many women there are, as there are many, many photos.”
The accused is reportedly due back in court next week for a bail hearing.