Weird News 7/10/16
Weird news of the week.
Here are the crime stories making headlines today, July 8, 2016 …
- For the second time in two days and for the eighth time this year, investigators in New York say they’ve discovered a burning body. Reports say a body was found on Monday night when a person was driving along a dirt road, and the second burning body was discovered the next day by someone walking in the area. WHEC reports a couple in the area has since been charged with the body discovered on Monday night. A press conference is scheduled for today. [WHEC][New York Upstate]
- A team of firefighters responding to a call in Utah accidentally stopped a murder, after making a random turn off the highway. According to USA Today, firefighters had responded to a report of smoke, but, finding nothing, took an exit just to turn their truck around. Instead, they discovered a man allegedly attempting to hang a woman under an overpass. [USA Today]
- A Georgia man is finally facing a murder charge after investigators say his girlfriend’s 24-day-old baby was killed last December. AJC reports that 27-year-old Nicholas Campbell is not only charged with murder, but possession of methamphetamine, obstruction of an officer, and aggravated assault and battery. An autopsy report shows, according to the report, Ciara Campbell died from craniocerebral trauma. [AJC]
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy caught on camera allegedly threatening young men with a gun. Investigators in Fairfax County, Virginia, are looking into a caught-on-camera incident involving a top Pentagon official allegedly pointing a gun. The man captured with a cell phone camera is believed to be Karnig Ohannessian. He appears to be upset at the males for not only parking outside his home, but for being noisy. He also accuses the three men of being drunk, the report adds. [WUSA]
- One crime of fashion seems to be over, at least in Timmonsville. Long gone are the days of underwear visible above sagging pants bottoms in a small South Carolina town. There’s now a law on the books to ban “excessively saggy pants.” Droopy pants fines will range from $100 to $600. [KMTV]
- A Pennsylvania woman is facing jail for having unlawfully loud sex. Twenty-five-year-old Amanda Marie Warfel recently pleaded guilty to disorderly count for her actions under the sheets. The Associated Press said she will serve 45 to 90 days behind bars for having sex so loudly she shook her neighbors furniture. [Pottsmerc]
- Lawmakers in New York want to do more to attempt to identify the unidentified. They are calling on all of the coroners and medical examiners in the state to share personal data about bodies they’ve processed. The Daily Freeman reports those lawmakers wants fingerprints and other information shared with The National Missing and Unidentified Persons Systems national database. [Daily Freeman]
Two women are standing trial for murder in Chester, England, accused of shooting a mom-of-two in the head with a stun gun, then stabbing her an outrageous 40 times — described by the BBC as “demonic savagery.”
After Sadie Hartley, 60, was paralyzed by the stun gun, Sarah Williams, 34, and Katrina Walsh, 56, allegedly carried out the torturous murder because Williams — who is believed to have stabbed Hartley — wanted to rekindle a relationship with the victim’s boyfriend, The Guardian reports.
In court, Willams’s estranged ex-, Ian Johnston, who was out of the country during the January attack, testified that she was “obsessed” and “set her mind” that they would get back together, and that Hartley was an obstacle. Prosecutor John McDermott said the reason the couple broke up was because she became“possessive and difficult,” according to theBBC.
Willams’s work colleagues detailed her odd behavior. On one occasion, the 35-year-old allegedly broke into Johnston’s house, got into his bed naked, and waited for him to come back. She then refused to leave.
The prosecutor told the jury that Walsh did not have a direct hand in the murder, but did dispose of evidence afterward. The women are also accused of installing a tracking device to Johnston’s car so they could find his home. The same device helped build a case against Williams, providing investigators proof as to where she was in relation to the murder.
They also allegedly perpetrated a trial run, in which Walsh rang Hartley’s doorbell and delivered her some flowers. Williams had also sent Hartley a letter, in which she claimed that Johnston had been secretly sleeping with her behind his new girlfriend’s back. One passage read:
“The sex is unbelievably fantastic, the best he’s ever had by a really, really long way. We have never been able to get enough of each other. It satisfied a need in him he will never really be able to suppress or manage without.”
Walsh’s journal is believed to have documented the murder. “Sarah came round so got caught up in endless murder plots,” one passage supposedly read. Another read: “Wow, I may get to be instrumental in helping to remove the awful woman.”
According to the Daily Mail, the women had also discussed planting an ISIS flag at the scene of their crime, to confuse investigators.
In court, one witness suggested that Walsh was the submissive party in the operation. Anita Dodd, who knew Walsh, stated, “I think she may been slightly in awe of her [Williams].” While at a farm, Dodd said she saw Walsh, a riding teacher, become emotional upon hearing that Williams had been arrested. Dodd testified that she saw her a few days later “babbling,” insinuating “she may have been duped or fooled” into doing something for Williams, the Manchester Evening News reported.
Prosecutors say Williams was stuck on a “delusional hope of a dream life with her ideal man,” and had allegedly plotted the murder for 17 months. At this time, both women are denying the murder, and the court has heard that the each intend to blame the other.
Police in Florida say they are looking to question a man after his girlfriend was found seriously burned and left in critical condition.
According to the Tampa Bay Times, 37-year-old Sheron Pasco is in Tampa General Hospital suffering from burns over 60 percent of her body. The publication said at first investigators believed Pasco and her boyfriend 37-year-old John Riggins had an argument and may have possibly doused Pasco with gasoline. The incident happened on Tuesday night, around 8 p.m. and Pasco had to be flown out.
Fox 13 said authorities found Riggins hiding in a vacant house in nearby St. Petersburg where the incident occurred.
The Tampa Bay Times said now those initial witness reports are conflicting. Authorities say they are not sure how Pasco was burned and to what extent Riggins was involved, the report said. Although Riggins is not currently facing charges, the newspaper did some digging into his past.
They found out Riggins has an extensive history as it relates to domestic violence, and arrests dating back to 1994. In fact, in 2011, the report said he was charged with setting a former girlfriend’s house on fire. Although he was acquitted, he’s been accused of other incidents.
According to the report Earnest Neal, 67, who said he is Pasco’s uncle and an eyewitness to the burning, said the couple was recently fighting about their relationship and being faithful. The pair were apparently living with Neal and his wife. In the 2011 incident, Yashica Clemmons claimed Riggins set her house on fire because of the same relationship issues.
Neal told the Tampa Bay Times during the argument he saw Pasco covered in flames. Pasco’s aunt reportedly assisted her to a bathtub and helped to put out the fire, Neal said. He also his niece claimed Riggins did not set her on fire, but he said he doesn’t believe her. “She’s trying to protect him,” he added.
Pasco and Riggins have a history that dates back to 2014. It was then, according to the report, Pasco filed for a domestic violence injunction against Riggins. It was not issued and granted by a judge because Pasco failed to appear for the court date, the report adds. There was a second injunction filed as well in 2014, but that was not granted either.
The publication dug up other people who asked for orders of protection against Riggins; you can read about those here.
As for Pasco, she is continuing to recover after suffering from burns from her face to her thighs, reports add. ABC Action News said Riggins also suffered burns from the incident and he was transported out as well.
It happened in the blink of an eye: It’s a terrifying video of an attempted abduction of a young Southern California child. According to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’sdepartment, on July 1, just after 2:30 p.m., an unidentified woman and her two young children entered an electronics store.
On the surveillance tape you can see a child, who investigators say is four years old, walk in and begin to play with the candy machines at the front entrance. The child’s mother is holding her infant and stands in line. There is one person standing in front of the family, and the mother is seen only feet away from the other child at the door.
Within a matter of seconds on the video you see an arm reach in from outside the door to snatch the child and drag her away. The sudden movement startled the mother, drew her attention, and she runs out of the store with her infant in tow to rescue her child. The other person standing in line darted out the door as well.
Good Samaritans stopped the alleged abductor and held him on the ground until deputies arrived, CBS reports. When the authorities arrived, they learned the suspect lost his grip on the child. According to a police press release, the mother of the victim was heard screaming by folks outside, and the suspect was seen fleeing.
The suspect has since been identified as 24-year-old Terry Ransom. He’s charged with kidnapping and child cruelty, reports say. The owner of the electronics store, Miguel Macias, who is a father to a six-year-old, spoke out to CBS Los Angeles, saying the mother noticed Ransom in the parking lot before she entered the front door, and thought he looked strange, but never expected him to follow them to the store. Macias’s wife, Stella Moriel, added, “I saw him (the suspect) sit down in the middle of the street and laugh, and then he got up and started running again.”
As for the little girl, she did not suffer any physical injuries. Ransom is held on $250,000 bail, reports add.
Beauty product theft is a real problem in the Big Apple.
DNAinfo reports that the NYPD is looking for a man who stuffed more than $700 in nail polish and cosmetics in his pants from a New York City Duane Reade.
In addition to the 19 bottles of Essie nail polish (valued at $162 total), the suspect was taped boosting Neutrogena lip gloss ($24), 35 tubes of Revlon lipstick ($439), four L’Oréal mascaras ($36), and eight tubes of Revlon Ultra HD ($72).
This isn’t the first time police have been tasked with capturing a thief with a penchant for beauty products. Metro reported in early January that a man was able to steal an entire 190-plus bottle display of Essie nail polish — totaling more than $1,500 — from a Manhattan Duane Reade. DNAinfo reported that the same man struck another Duane Reade in April in his biggest heist yet: 315 bottles of Essie polish, amounting to $2,958.
It is unclear whether this man is just responsible for the latest theft or if the three incidents are related, but we’re willing to bet he has a very nice manicure.
Christopher Wade had an … interesting July 4th holiday. According to police, Wade had appeared quite intoxicated to the employees of the Hustler Hollywood lingerie store in downtown Nashville on just after midnight on July 4. One of the employees told police that Wade, 55, allegedly walked into the store, grabbed a mannequin that had been set up near the doors, and left the store with it and all of the lingerie it had been wearing. He reportedly bumped into something on his way out, which knocked off the mannequin’s left arm. That was the sole piece that was left behind.
One of the store’s employees chased Wade into the parking lot and argued with him for a bit before he shoved the mannequin into the bed of his white Toyota Tacoma and drove away. Police tracked the plates to a nearby woman’s home, and drove over to investigate. The unidentified woman told them that Christopher Wade was in the house. When police caught up with Wade, the suspect was in bed with the mannequin, which was still adorned in thousands of dollars of lingerie.
Wade was busted on charges that included theft of property. As he had a standing warrant for his arrest, bail was set at $11,000.
A Georgia mom has been sentenced to six years probation after she threw her daughter a 16th birthday party that included sex, booze, drugs … and Twister (?!).
According to the New York Daily News, Rachel Lehnardt was arrested after she admitted to hosting the celebration while talking to her Alcoholics Anonymous sponsor.
Convicted on six counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, the mom-of-six was sentenced to 12 months probation and $100 fine per count, totaling six years probation and $600 in fines. Since she was sentenced under the First Offender Act, she must undergo drug and alcohol testing and treatment.
The party occurred last April, while Lehnardt’s five other children were out for the day with their father. The mom received a text from the birthday girl, asking if she could bring some friends home, to which Lehnardt enthusiastically responded, “Come on, let’s party!” During the party, then-35-year-old reportedly had sex with one of her daughter’s 18-year-old friends, penetrated herself with sex toys in front of her teenage guests, and, yes, played Twister.
A sheriff’s report also details how the mother woke up to find her that daughter’s 16-year-old boyfriend was raping her. However, according to the Huffington Post, investigators found no evidence that a rape occurred.
The 35-year-old lost custody of her children and her husband filed for divorce after the incident came to light. “I lost who I was and my respect,” Lehnardt told the judge. “I’m sorry for all of my actions.”
There’s a murder mystery playing out on the island of Fiji after a New Zealand couple found a human head on the beach during their morning stroll. CBS News reports the head is just the latest discovery in a gruesome murder mystery surrounding a Russian couple who vanished from the island last month.
“We said, just jokingly, that it was more body parts,” said Graeme Bickley, who said he had seen news reports about other body parts washing ashore. “Then when I waded in to grab it, it became apparent how heavy it was, it almost pulled me over.”
According to the Telegraph, the decapitated head wasn’t the first body part discovered on the beach recently. Only two weeks ago, two pairs of dismembered feet, described as wrapped in netting or cloth and weighed down, washed up on Natadola Beach. Investigators said they’ve discovered other body parts in the area as well, and DNA testing has confirmed that a number of severed remains match Yuri or Natalia Shipulin, who went missing on June 16.
The Shipulins moved to Fiji from Russia in 2011, and ran a photography business from their vegetable farm before vanishing from the main island of Viti Levu. Andrew Luzanenko, the couple’s business partner, reported them missing, and said the Shipulin’s farm was suffering greatly after Cyclone Winston. Reports say the couple would often sell their products at local resorts and markets.
“Yuri was a happy, easy going man who loved life, loved Fiji and he had plans to build his life in Fiji,” Alla Mallerich, who knew the couple, told the Telegraph.
The couple’s Land Rover was found with the keys inside, and their cell phones and other personal belongings untouched. Reports also claim that a chainsaw is missing from the couple’s farm. A motive for the murders has not been revealed, nor have the police said whether they have any suspects. Reports say divers will continue to search the area for more body parts, as the investigation continues.
Here are the crime stories making headlines today, July 5, 2016…
- Florida man busted trying to steal 107 sea turtle eggs. Glenn Robert Shaw was arrested Friday for poaching more than 100 sea turtle eggs on Jupiter Island in Florida under the cover of night. Wildlife conservationists say that poaching the eggs harms the natural environment, a major threat to sea turtles especially, as nearly all of the seven species of sea turtles are endangered. Shaw had 107 eggs when he was arrested, and it’s unclear what he intended to do with them. The FWC reburied 92 of the eggs and kept 15 as evidence. [Palm Beach Post]
- NYPD search for perv who rubbed his penis on a little girl’s face. On July 2 at around 8 p.m., police says the male suspect “approached the 6 year-old female victim inside an apartment building on Henry Street on the 1st Floor stairwell. The individual proceeded to expose his penis and rub it on the victim’s face.” NYPD released surveillance footage of the suspect, who’s wearing a red shirt, black baseball hat and shorts, which you can see below. Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477). [Gothamist]
- Ohio daycare worker and sex offender boyfriend plead guilty to child rape.Heather Koon, who worked at the daycare in Elyria, and her boyfriend, James Osborne, both plead guilty to numerous counts of rape and related charges for the 2013 crimes. [USA Today]
Murder suspect’s mugshot shows victim’s name tattooed on his neck. Police in Waterbury have charged Adam Plaeger with strangling girlfriend Melanie Heuberger after an argument. A friend says Plaeger “idolized” the victim suspects he just “snapped.” [Newser]
- Ford family heir arrested, but not charged, for domestic violence. Edsel Ford II, the 67-year-old great-grandson of Ford Motor Company founder Henry Ford, was arrested today on domestic violence charges in Grosse Point, Michigan, but later released after the city attorney founda lack of evidence to file charges, [Autoblog]
- Phoenix police investigating possible serial killer on the loose. Five people have been murdered since April in the working-class neighborhood of Maryvale, and there are reportedly similarities between the crimes. According to Ebony, “investigators can’t say for sure if the killer is a single person or is working as part of a group, but so far, all of the victims have been people of color.” [Ebony]
- Florida woman accused of swinging her baby boy “like a bat.” According to police in Daytona Beach, Tatyana Allen, 18, was charged with battery and infliction of physical/mental injury on a child after she allegedly swung the child at her boyfriend for refusing to go with her to the bathroom. “She just beat her like 3-month-old baby, if that, against her boyfriend and threw him in the sand facedown,”a caller told a 9-1-1 dispatcher. “The baby was screaming. It was facedown in the sand, it can’t hold its head up.”
Model and actress Christie Brinkley got into more than a shouting match this past weekend, allegedly turning the hose on a woman who urinated on her Long Island property.
The story, originally run in the New York Post’s Page Six, says that Brinkley sprayed Erica Remkus with a garden hose when the woman tried to relieve herself on Sag Harbor Cove sand near the former supermodel’s home. Claiming this part of the beach was public property, Remkus recalled telling Brinkley “This is not your beach. The beach is public property. You don’t own it.”
The altercation allegedly escalated, with the 62-year-old repeatedly calling Remkus“disgusting” then spraying her with water from a hose from 30 feet away.
“I hadn’t even peed yet, by the way,” Remkus said. However, after being doused with water by Brinkley, Remkus was determined to finish the job, and emptied her bladder in front of Brinkley’s property, which Page Six reports she rarely frequents. Remkus claimed the former Sports Illustrated model recorded her in the act on her cellphone.
The mom-of-three explains to the New York Daily News that she decided to pee on the beach after she was unable to find a toilet following a two-hour firework show.
Brinkley took to Facebook to tell her side of the story, writing: “I know it’s Independence Day but that does not mean ‘free to pee’ in front of my guests and me at my fireworks gathering. Maybe the trespasser should celebrate ‘Depends Day’ as she apparently thinks she lives in ‘The Land of the Pee,’ and I I was forced to hose down her mess after she urinated in my yard all the while throwing things at me.”
However, according to the Daily Mail, Remkus shot back on Twitter, writing, “All I have to say right now is #ChristieBrinkley is a dumb ****. She f’ed with the wrong local tonight.”
Though cops were called — allegedly by Brinkley — they refused to press charges because none of them caught Remkus in the act.
“I would not have peed if she didn’t spray me,” Remkus told the Post. “After that, I kind of had to.”
A North Carolina couple landed themselves behind bars for reportedly battering each other with … pizza rolls?
WJZY reports that Brad Scott Beard (pictured right), 24, and Samantha Brooke Canipe (pictured left), 21, got into an altercation in their Gastonia apartment at approximately 1 a.m. on July 4. Though the cause of the fight is unclear, police claim the couple threw pizza rolls at one another. It’s unclear what brand of pizza rolls were used, but here’s a stock photo to give you an idea of the weaponry involved in this case:
Beard is charged with assault on a female while Canipe is charged with simple assault, according to the Gatson Gazette. Both misdemeanors, he faces 60 days in jail if convicted, while she could spend 30 days behind bars.
A Russian man was arrested for allegedly intimidating a student driver with a knife — and his penis — during a road rage incident.
Frustrated that the female student driver was moving too slow, the unnamed Krasnodar man was taped pulling across two lanes to box the car in. According to theMirror, the alleged tattooed aggressor was then seen exiting his Land Rover while holding a knife.
Going out of frame briefly, the Daily Mail reports that the tattooed man attempted to open the Daewoo Nexia’s doors but gave up when he discovered they were locked. The altercation was far from over, though.
As the driving teacher readjusted the camera to get the action in focus, the knife-wielding assailant decided to up the ante, grabbing his penis and aggressively shaking it at the stunned passengers. The incident ended with him kicking their car and returning to his Land Rover, however, he reportedly continued to follow them after the altercation.
After the driving instructor called police, the suspect was swiftly arrested and jailed for 10 days and charged with disorderly conduct. Sunday World reports he faces two years in prison if convicted.